Friday, July 11, 2014

Yoga State of Mind

I chose to do yoga because there was a promo for $30 for 30 days of unlimited classes. That's what got me in the door -- cheapness. I can't say I'm hooked, but I am enjoying it and hating it all at once.

What yoga asks of your body is what it asks of your mind. Stretch. Find balance. Stay calm and quiet. The noise of the world is left behind for one hour, just one hour, and I leave a better me, a more accepting self.

At the end of each class as we are winding down and doing our finishing stretches, the teacher puts on music. Yesterday as I'm laying there drenched in sweat (yes, you sweat in yoga), a song starts playing and I hear the lyrics, "...amazing grace is pouring down." And, there was no better way to describe how I was feeling in that moment. Graceful, grateful. Those lyrics and that song stuck with me.

I did some googling and found out it is a song called Enter One by Sol Seppy. It's haunting but in a good way -- is that possible? I'd like to share the song with you -- here's to hoping it moves you the way it moved me: Enter One by Sol Seppy

I've gone to yoga Monday through Friday for three weeks. I still do a terrible frog, a funny-looking vinyasa and an acceptable lotus. My 30 days is up next week, but my yoga journey continues. I found a Groupon for $39 for 30 days of unlimited classes at the same studio. Again, cheapness. In the door. Me.

There's no better ending to a (hopefully) good blog post than one that is oh so cliche. So on that note, keep calm and yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment