Sunday, October 16, 2011

Kristin Meets Krissy = Take One

I completed A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller this afternoon, while relaxing after a weekend of living a better story.  The weekend was full of firsts and seconds, and with every experience, whether original or ordinary, I was keenly aware that these experiences were maturing me to act out better scenes in the better story I am creating.  I felt grateful for each moment and wanted to take in every emotion, conversation, laugh, everything.

On Saturday, while perusing around the Renaissance Festival, we came across an activity that caused me to immediately yell, "Cool!"  I knew instantly I had to participate.  Thinking something was "cool", shouting, and wondering what it would be like to be a part of the cool-ness wasn't enough.  Live life as a willing participant.  And so I did.

IMG_1704

No, this scene didn't take place in the elephant's natural habitat (her stage name is Krissy, after all).  Yes, this scene may strike a nerve with animal activists (Krissy was wearing a saddle and a leash while being called Krissy).  Maybe, this scene is not-so-cool to some (insert any reason whatsoever related to my age).  But none of that mattered.  What mattered was me, right then, jumping on board an elephant, and experiencing something new and exciting while squealing like a six year old.  This was my scene, and I was the actor, living life as a willing participant, and not just as another spectator in the background.

There will be many more elephants along my journey, some not-so-cool nor sweet 'n' calm like Krissy, but opportunities, nonetheless.  Opportunities to push myself past my perceived limits, opportunities to experience something new, opportunities to grow into the character I someday hope to be--all of which require action and an adventurous, curious spirit.  I've just got to jump on board and let the squealing follow.

I'm searching for my next elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment