Saturday, September 17, 2011

Saturday Thoughts: Redemption

As my journey progresses, I am realizing more and more what it is I am searching for.

Yesterday, I was watching a sports commentary about Michael Vick.  If you are unfamiliar with him, he is a pro-football player who, in 2007, was convicted and sentenced to two years in prison for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy.  He served 19 months and upon release, ventured back into the world of NFL football and was soon picked up by another team, the Philadelphia Eagles.  Tomorrow, the Philadelphia Eagles are playing against the Atlanta Falcons, the team Michael Vick played for in the midst of the dog-fighting scandal.

I don't even know where to begin, so I'll just begin.

Michael Vick was a quarterback, a main player, an American star athlete.  He seemed to have it all.  But there was something inside of him that led him to be a part of such a heinous act.  There is no need to go into all of the wrongs associated with dog-fighting - bottom line, beautiful animals were trained to viciously kill other beautiful animals, while people watched and cheered and profited.  Vick wasn't doing it for money, at least not because he needed it.  So why

The "why's" didn't come into question during his trial, only that he was a part of it all, and he was found guilty.  He served his time, the amount of time seen fit according to our justice system, and he was released.  Time served.  Released.  Now what?

Vick went back into his life as quarterback, main player, American star athlete.  And tomorrow he is playing against, essentially, himself.  His old self, his dark self, the self that made mistakes, the self that (arguably) led to the countless deaths of living creatures.  Should he continue to "pay his dues"?  Or are they already paid? 

In the eyes of the justice system, his dues are paid.  In the eyes of millions who are familiar with this story and who will be watching tomorrow's game, well, the answer to that question is based on who you ask.  But really, when speaking in terms of moving forward, coming to terms with the casualties of this story, discovering peace from such mess, the true answer lies in the heart of Michael Vick himself.

Now, this blog, my blog, is about my own journey, about my personal path to finding peace and beauty that lies hidden in the depths of my God-given soul.  I have made many mistakes, I have hurt people I loved, I have betrayed family and friends and myself.  And while Michael Vick's story is so completely different from my own, it is so completely similar as well.  Should I continue to "pay my dues"?  Should I continue to suffer and remain imprisoned from peace and acceptance and authentic living? 

Like Michael Vick, in the eyes of those who were a  part of my past and present, it depends on who you ask.  And like Michael Vick, when speaking in terms of moving forward, coming to terms with the casualties of my story, discovering peace from such mess, the true answer lies in the heart of Kristin herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment