Friday, September 2, 2011

Coffee Talk: Warm Memories

One of the belongings of my great-grandmother's that I received after she died was her set of coffee mugs - and she had a lot.  And while coffee mugs may not seem like much to get excited over, I absolutely love them. 

I've mentioned before on my blog that my time spent at my great-grandparents were the best times of my childhood, and I have so many wonderful memories being at their house.  One such memory is coffee milk

I adored my great-grandparents and wanted to be just like them and do everything they did.  When I was old enough to understand what "drinking coffee" was, well, I wanted to drink coffee, too!  They would put just a few drops in my milk so I could "drink coffee" with them at breakfast.  As I got older, the coffee-to-milk ratio increased drastically, but I've always preferred a bit of milk in my coffee over anything else, and I always think of Mam-ma and Pap-pa when I'm sipping my mug of coffee in the morning.

My favorite mug of all mugs is pictured above.  The scripture on it reads, "He leads me beside quiet waters."  I feel a calm wash over me when I hold this mug, and I feel nearer to God, to my great-grandparents, and to my authentic self. 

My great-grandparents were loving Christians and set such a positive example, always encouraging me to seek out the Lord and to love others while I was doing it.  My heart aches when I think of them no longer being here, but all of their work on Earth paid off because they are living it up in heaven with the Father they always talked to me about.

My adolescent years into my twenties were rough.  When I start feeling weighed down with all of the chaos and confusion I was exposed to in my past, I have one safe place I can always return to; a place where my sadness and worry is washed away by the Lord, and I'm back at the breakfast table drinking coffee with my Mam-ma and Pap-pa.


No comments:

Post a Comment