Saturday, August 6, 2011

Enough

Better to give than to receive.

Simple life :)Until today, I thought that meant you feel better giving to someone else than getting something from someone - jewlery, a card, gifts in general. You see the person smile at the gift you carefully selected and purchased, and the smile and excitement on their face makes you feel good.

But today, when my boyfriend and I dropped off a bunch of old clothes at the clothing bank for the chronic homeless, I realized what this phrase truly meant.

To give, and more specifically, to choose to give, means you have more than enough.  Our closets were overflowing with clothes that we no longer need because we have more than enough clothes that we want.  Clothing to me is a luxury, a side note, and I don't ever have to worry about having enough clothes to get me through the week, let alone just one day.  But the people who will receive these clothes have nothing.  Clothing is a necessity, among a whole slew of other things that I take for granted as well.

Yes, I struggle with depression and trying to make it to the next day emotionally and mentally.  But I don't ever worry about not having enough: clothes, food, shelter, etc.  And on days that I don't know if I can get out of bed to face the world, enough should count for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment