Saturday, August 27, 2011

Forecast: Empowerment

Weather Basel 2009It's morning, and other than eating a bowl of cereal, drinking a delicious mug of hot coffee, and laughing at my dog's antics, my day really hasn't quite got going. Other than the occasional morning or mid-day post about something I just can't wait to share with you, I pretty much always blog in the evenings when my day is coming to a close and I share my day's insights and struggles and contentment.

But as I sip on my coffee, I'm thinking, "What if I wrote about my day before it even began? What if I write about what will happen today instead of what did happen?"

So often when I wake up, I create all of these negative scenarios in my mind about how the day will go, the conflicts I'll have, how I'm not equipped to handle stress, etc. No wonder I don't want to get out of bed! But, what if I did the opposite? What if, when I woke up, I thought about all of the exciting events and interactions I would experience that day? Coming to agreement with a coworker and finding a newfound respect and friendship, feeling and knowing I am loved by my boyfriend, my family, God. Accomplishing a large task at work with awesome results, running 3, 5, 10 miles, having an opportunity fall in my lap. I would be bursting at the seams to get out of bed!

So, this is how my day unfolded:
  • I got ready for work and looked confident and approachable.
  • I drove to work without any frustrations about traffic or other drivers.
  • When I got to work, everyone was happy to see me, and I wasn't self-conscious or insecure.
  • I immediately went to work setting up for the day's events, and I delegated tasks with ease.
  • Everyone I interacted with was positive, gracious, and grateful.
  • When I left work, I visited a friend, a friend who I flaked on a few times. I expressed to her my feelings, my recent struggles, and asked for forgiveness.
  • My friend forgave me and we picked up right where we left off.
  • Tired but energized from my positive day, I went to the gym and did upper-body strength training, a part of working out that I really enjoy but that I've been self-conscious about in the past.
  • Today, I didn't worry if I looked right, if my weakness was obvious, all I focused on was the time I was spending loving myself and making my journey in this world a little better.
  • I came home and relaxed the rest of the evening, did some reading and cooking and cleaning.
  • When I went to bed, I felt content. And for one of the first times, in a long time, I talked to God, and felt Him near.
After journaling what will happen today, I feel so in control of my life. I am looking forward to leaving the house and tackling the world head on. I feel strong, confident, and upbeat. There is no reason for me to be anxious about the day ahead because I already know how it will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment