Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Time to Bloom

This book didn't do for me what I thought it would. But I'm afraid that it has something to do with me and not the book.

I was first introduced to Lisa Wingate last year by an old friend. I read Language of Sycamores and Over the Moon and immediately loved the stories and had lots of good insights. I was expecting the same with Tending Roses.

I felt sad, at times, while reading. Not just because I was waiting for those ah-ha moments that never came, but sad because the story is about a woman and her grandmother and their relationship in the last year or so of her life. I was reminded so much of my own great-grandmother who passed away my senior year of college, and who I grew exceptionally close to in those last years she was on earth.

Perhaps my pain and emptiness from the void that only my great-grandmother could fill prevented me from those ah-ha moments that once came so naturally and freely. Maybe the ah-ha moments I was waiting to experience were not to be realized until now, when I am journaling my thoughts with a renewed understanding and love for my Mam-ma, and a little piece of closure and peace where I once felt sorrow and regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment