Monday, December 13, 2010

Hey NIKE, I'm Doing It

Down days have passed. Please don't return.

My new job rocks my socks. I really feel like this is a place I want to be for a long while. I work independently. I have a small office, and a desk, and a phone with my very own extension. I am encouraged to use my experience and education - and I am held responsible for my decisions and interactions with clients. I feel at home.

I have also began an independent project. A coworker I met through the part-time theatre job just published his first book - ten years in the making. He needed some help with local PR - and I said "Count me in!" I'm helping with his social media marketing and PR. It's all very exciting.

I see that new opportunities are swirling around me. I must make the most of them. In the past, really great things have been going on in my life and I have ruined them by letting my depression and troubles get the best of me.

I was listening to a Joyce Meyer podcast this morning and, once again, something she said really hit me. She was talking about a lady she knew who was so fearful of everything - afraid to leave her house, afraid of working because she didn't want to mess up, afraid of relationships with others because she didn't want to get hurt, afraid of everything. Long story short, someone told this lady, "Well, then you're just gonna have to do it afraid." I thought - wow! I can replace the word "afraid" with any emotion I may be feeling.

I'm gonna have to do it depressed. I'm gonna have to do it mad. I'm gonna have to do it tired. I'm gonna have to do it beaten down, bruised, bitter, and broken. It is any number of things - excelling at work, running, reading, praying, going to church, seeing my counselor, attending functions with the healthy family members and friends in my life...anything.

Like the oh-too-familiar-and-overused slogan goes - JUST DO IT! At some point, I have to just pick myself up in whatever condition I am in, with whatever circumstances I've got going on, get out in the world, and just do it. And not just do it, but keep doing it.

World, I am ready.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I'm just getting through my dark cloud. I've finally realized that I can't just let my life pass me by just because I feel down and broken.

    However I feel, I will do the best that I can. I am doing everything I can to improve my life. This include adjusting my diet, reading, exercising and other things.

    Like NIKE says: Just do it!

    ReplyDelete