Sunday, June 13, 2010

Decisions...

“Every decision we make is a seed that we sow. The Bible says we reap only according to how we sow.” --Joyce Meyer

My decisions about how I feel, what I think, what I eat, what I do or don’t do all have a greater effect on my life. I look at my life and the things I don’t like about it, and I wonder what decisions I made to get me to where I am, to where I don’t want to be.

I am depressed, and I don’t like it, but my decisions sow seeds of depression. Decisions to drink, to not exercise, to not attend worship regularly, to isolate…those decisions will reap depression. Alternately, when I make the decision to take a jog, to eat a raw meal, to clean my apartment, to follow through with a commitment to a friend…I am sowing seeds of contentment.

After listening to the Joyce Meyer podcast I referenced at the beginning of this post (which was about two days ago), I have been much more aware of my decisions and the impact they have on my life. I have spent the weekend running, connecting with friends and perfect strangers, attending worship, praying, reading, writing…all of which are seeds that will reap great rewards.

These rewards may not come today, or tomorrow, or a week or even months from now. That is why it is so important for me to continue making good decisions, continue sowing seeds of contentment and grace and love, knowing that they will, at some point, harvest wonderful things in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment