Thursday, May 6, 2010

Painful Thread - an original terzanelle by Kristin

Lately I have been thinking about a poem I wrote for a poetry class my last semester in college, and how much it moved me to write it and read it, and how accepting my poetry class was when they read it. Luckily, I had saved this poem along with other writing from this same class, which I've posted on my "Poetry" page. And now, I'd like to share this very special poem with you.

Painful Thread

Finally, I scream for what should have been.
Acquired in my first breath, still seems I’m
tied like a puppet with your painful thread

woven in womb from the tightrope you walk.
Stranded and frayed from your needle-sharp voice
acquired in my first breath. Still seems I’m

knotted with sorrow, for no other choice
I rot with the moon’s fading strand of light,
stranded and frayed from your needle-sharp voice.

Delivered, then bounded to all that’s foul,
dripping with tears, Mom you strangle my soul.
I rot with the moon’s fading strand of light

that flickers once more before bowing its head.
Reaching the end of entangled delight
dripping with tears. Mom, you strangle my soul.

Wrapped within layers of unanswered plight,
finally I scream for what should have been.
Reaching the end of entangled delight,
tied like a puppet with your painful thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment