Wednesday, May 26, 2010

In the Raw

I've made some changes in my diet that I believe will help with my mood and energy. There is a diet specific to children with autism that has helped families overcome its debilitating effects. I got to thinking about all of the junk in the American diet, all of the preservatives and chemicals that come along with convenient frozen and canned foods. We have food at our fingertips wherever we go, and people today are a mess. They are stressed, unfit, unhappy, and so many people don't know why. And while I believe this is more of a spiritual problem than anything, I do think our minds are bogged down from all of the unhealthy things we have become so accustomed to eating.

I've been reading blogs and articles about the wonderful world of raw foods, and I decided to give it a shot. The diet is simple - all fruits and vegetables, no sugar, no dairy, nothing canned and nothing frozen, only foods with one ingredient...which is what the food actually is. You cook nothing, and blend everything. Marinara, dressing, dip, yogurt, cereal...it's all made from scratch by yours truly.

I am on day 3 and am loving these new foods I am eating. I found some great raw food recipes online that are simple and so delicious. It's fun trying out new foods that are super healthy and learning what herbs and veggies and fruits go well together. After a week or so of eating these raw foods and all of the wonderful nutrients that come along with it, your body begins to cleanse itself of all of the junk that has been building up. It does take a good amount of time to prepare everything, because I am actually preparing it and not throwing it in the microwave or popping open a can, but this is a part of it, taking the time to prepare a meal that comes straight from the ground and eating it as it was intended.

Here are my first creations...

smoothie queen "Some Kind of Wonderful" Smoothie
1 cup almond milk
1 banana
4 large strawberries
handful of blueberries
Blend it up...and enjoy!









cilantro pesto rotini"EZ-to-Digesto" Cilantro Pesto Rotini
juice from one lime
1/2 cup EVOO (cold pressed, unfiltered)
1 garlic clove
handful of cilantro
Blend together and pour over whole wheat pasta.

**I refrigerated the unused portion of pesto and pasta and it made a delicious cold pesto pasta salad!







dressing ingredients"Knock Your Citrus Socks Off" Vinaigrette
Add these ingredients together and pour it over romaine lettuce. Let it marinate overnight.

**I'm using it as the base of my scoop of tuna for lunch and salmon for dinner.








And yes...I named the recipes myself! Please share any yummy recipes of your own, and I'll certainly keep you posted on my new adventure.

my raw food inspirations...
http://www.eatliverun.com/
http://www.choosingraw.com/

great raw food recipes...(I will definitely be trying out all kinds of new dishes!)
http://www.goneraw.com/
http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/raw-food-recipes.html
http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/

No comments:

Post a Comment