Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tuesdays with Morrie: Understanding Culture and Contentment

I share my stories of how other books have helped me along my journey on my "Books" page.

Tuesdays with Morrie culture and contentment.
This book is absolutely amazing! Ironically, I finished this book just a few days after my grandfather passed away - an event that solidified the concepts I read in this book. My absolute favorite idea that Morrie expressed in this book was, "If the culture you're in doesn't work for you, if it doesn't make you feel good, then invent a new culture to follow." I love this.

Today's culture DOES NOT make us feel good about ourselves as individuals, as unique and authentic people. We are taught every day through media and robots around us (people who fall for the standards of our culture) that we are not good as we are, we are not enough as the person we were born to be, the person God created us to be. We need to be skinnier and wealthier; meanwhile, we are surrounded by fast food restaurants and 50 foot televisions, both of which take our money and our health.

This book helped me understand the concepts of western culture and societal standards as they apply to me. I don't have to follow what the culture says I have to follow; I don't have to morph into who the culture says I need to be. If something doesn't make me content and doesn't add simplicity and value to my life, then I don't have to be a part of it!

So....I am inventing my own culture! I may be the only person who is a part of this culture, but I am content with who I am, who I was born to be, who God created me to be. I don't need a television or alcohol or a sexy man to validate the goodness inside of me. My life will be filled with Christian friends, uplifting family members, interesting books, great music, running, and my furry best friend. This is my culture. And it works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment