Saturday, March 20, 2010

Another Book Completed

I just finished reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. This book was fabulous, and to be honest, I was a bit sad to finish it. I became so intrigued with the characters; I just wanted the story to keep on going.

I feel a sense of accomplishment when I finish a book. Much like other things in my life, I have started so many books only to leave them unfinished. The second book I read this year, Beauty Before Comfort, was one such book.

I bought it at a discount book store while staying at my great-grandmother's house one weekend when I was home from college. I was taking an english course that introduced me to the world of memoirs, so I decided to browse through the memoir section at the bookstore. Oddly enough, the memoir section was next to the erotica section, and I was totally and utterly embarassed that someone would see me and think I was looking at those kinds of books. I stumbled upon Beauty Before Comfort, partly by accident and partly because I liked the title. I turned the book over and read the book's summary on the back. The book was a memoir written about a lady's grandmother. Since I was staying with my grandmother, I thought this book was just meant to be read by me. So I bought it, proudly showed it to my grandmother, and started reading it that day. I read a couple chapters, and never picked it up again. I'd see the book every once in a while on the shelf,
and I'd get this uneasy feeling, the familiar feeling of starting something and not finishing it. When I set off on my reading journey this year, I knew I had to finish that book, and I did.

I also started reading Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom a few years back....and sadly, didn't finish either of them. I want to finish those too, but I also want to get my hands on another Lisa Wingate novel. I love her books!

(read how far I've come on my reading journey here)

No comments:

Post a Comment